A sitz bath is a bath which immerses only the pelvic region in warm salt water. Some women like to add organic apple cider vinegar to a sitz bath. Adding vinegar may be helpful if the itching is caused by a yeast infection.
Take a sitz bath to relieve vaginal itching
- You can take a sitz bath in a bucket or bathtub, or you can use a special receptacle that is made to fit over a toilet.
- Fill your sitz bath container with warm water.
- Add half a cup of table salt, and stir until the salt dissolves.
- Immerse your pelvic region in the sitz bath for 20-30 minutes, or until the water is cold.
- Afterward, be sure to wash the sitz bath container out thoroughly.
Why It Works
If the vaginal itching is caused by a bacterial infection, salt water may help to kill the bacteria. Vaginal itching may also be caused by an allergic reaction to products or sprays that are used in the vaginal area, so washing away residue from those products may be helpful.
If itching continues for more than a few days, consult your doctor. You might have a yeast infection or some other kind of infection that needs treatment stronger than a sitz bath.