E. Blackwell 1737
Cucumbers have been used medicinally in the Far East for more than 3,000 years. Cucumbers spread west and were used by the Greeks and Romans. They are a traditional remedy for puffy eyes, but some authorities believe that cucumbers help mainly because they are cooling.
Try cucumbers for puffy eyes
- Slice two thin rounds of cucumber.
- Lie down and place a cucumber round over each eye.
- Relax for 15 minutes, and then remove.
- For bags under the eyes, you can grate cucumber and apply it as a poultice to the skin under the eyes.
- Leave in place for fifteen minutes.
Why It Works
Cucumbers contain an astringent that may help to constrict blood vessels around the eye. Cucumbers also have a cooling effect on inflamed, irritated skin.
See a doctor if you wake up and one eyelid has swollen up dramatically compared to the other eyelid, if eyelids don’t close all the way, or if you have hives or a rash around your eyes. Puffy eyes and swelling around the eyes could be caused by conjunctivitis from seasonal allergies or an eye infection.
M. Consult a doctor if you have pain, irritation, swelling or discoloration in or around the eyes.